The Only Swimmer in Equatorial Guinea




 We almost drowned.


By We,I mean Myself & Eric the Eel


Before I talk about myself, Let me tell you about Eric Moussambani


In the year 2000, the olympics commitee wanted more “developing world countries to compete in the Olympics so they gave them something called a wild card.


Equatorial Guinea got a wild card.


Now his country decided to do a raffle draw (or something like that) for the olympics so they were like “Oya o, come and go to the Olympics in Australia, free of charge.Show up at so and so place and collect your ticket.”


In the whole country, only 2 people showed up.


And I will not lie, e shock me.


Like you get a chance to travel out of the country to compete for free, you don’t even have to win, all you have to do is show up and yet, only one man came.


I have been watching Tokyo2020 on TikTok and for the first time in my life I have serious NTB (Need to Belong), like I wish I was there. I don’t care if I lose, let me sha go.



Let’s continue, so Eric showed up and they told him,” My guy, you will swim.”

Eric did not know how to swim and it was just 8 months to the Olympics.


So, he started training in a Hotel Swimming pool


You won't believe that as at then, there were no Olympic sized swimming pools in his country, just the regular ones and the first time he ever saw an Olypmpic sized swimming pool was when he landed in Australia for the event.


This is where it gets interesting.


When it was time to compete, he was standing beside white people who have been training for so long and had better conditions. All he had to do was give up and nobody will vex for him, but no, my guy went. 


Then came the testimony


You know when these athletes want to start something, they will count for them like 1,2,3, Go.


The 2 white people did not wait for GO o, they jumped it at 3, guess what, instant disqualification

God of Eric!! locate me.

Won’t he do it?! I mean, what are the odds?


You would think that means he won but no o, Olympics said Eric should swim like that, ALONE.

(Why the stresss, I don’t get it)


Anyway, Eric said no wahala


He jumped in and started swimming.

By the time he got halfway, Eric started to drown.


People were laughing at him.

Imagine the whole full stadium of people laughing at my guy while he was hanging on for dear life.


Eric said No. 

My God does not wear flip flops so he continued swimming.

It took him a long time but he finished and he won.


He fricking won.


Count all the plenty upstacles that came his way, he sha won.

He came 77th out of 92 swimmers.

He became the first swimmer to ever win an Olympic race in the Longest time possible.


He proved that 

"It's not the winning that matters, it's the not drowning that matters"


Now to me,

Like Eric, I almost drowned.

Not in water o but in grief, sadness and unforgiveness.


I was hanging on for dear life and this post is proof that I did not drown.


In the Last 8 Months, I lost myself.

I would spend hours sitting at my laptop trying to write but nothing was coming.

All I could feel was shame and pain.


I cannot explain the JOY I feel right now. 

I wrote a full story or letter or something.’

I wrote. I started writing, felt like quitting but I kept on and I finished.


It took us a long time but we finished.


"It's not the winning that matters, it's the not drowning that matters"


To watch the video of Eric's story, Go on Youtube and search “ Eric The Eel The Daily Show” or Google Eric The Eel. His story is amazing


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why Fertilty Is Important In Business.

Business Lessons from the Sperm of the Human Male